28 April 2012

dream of being more

When I was a kid I always dreamed of being a teacher.  True story.  It started innocently reading books to my teddy bear.  My parents bought me a "teacher kit" for my birthday one year that came with a chalkboard.  I played with that for hours on end in the basement.  Had some friends that didn't mind playing school, either...until I started giving out homework.  Oh!  And we must not forget the pop quizzes I gave my brothers from the tests in the back of our dictionary and encyclopedias.

Wow.  Thanks to all my friends and family who put up with that.

My thirst for knowledge has never really stopped.  For those that know me, I'm constantly on the go, and am always trying to jam-pack as many things as I can into a day.  At work, there is something new I learn every day and/or sharing new sales techniques with my coworkers.  At play, I am always trying to learn new design techniques (my scraproom is a disaster area right now) and share them with the blogosphere.  I might not be a teacher in the conventional way as I thought when I was a child.  But, there's still plenty of life left to go and plenty of things left to learn. 
Always dream of being more.


The Ingredients
Card:  100% Kraft Recycled Paper
Paper:  (It actually started our white) From my scrapbin.  I think it came from Michaels
Stamps: Tim Holtz Visual Artistry - Life's Possibilities Collection
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink - aged mahogany, fired brick, barn door, rusty hinge, vintage photo, black soot.
Adhesive: Double Faced Tape - 3M Archival Safe
Tools: Blending Block and Ink Blending Foam - Inkssentials; Teflon mat - Inkssentials (so I don't get my desktop dirty)
 

The Recipe
1.  Go to Unscripted Sketches and check out Sketch # 156!
2.  Select color scheme.  This week: colors that made me smile from my stamping drawer
3.  White paper: Cut (1) large 2.5x4.5" and (3) 1 1/8x3" small strips of paper.
4.  Ink it out!  This one I did backwards.  I started with the darkest color (aged mahogany) in the smallest area and blended all the colors together based on my mood.  TIP:  Don't think about it too hard!  If you don't like it at the end...throw it out and start again :)  The last color I used was vintage photo to give it a little more depth.
5.  Stamp the man with the umbrella, the sentiment, and the clock (masked first and stamped on my Teflon mat).  Ink the edges with aged mahogany for a little more depth.
6.  Adhere to card. 
7.  Stamp the birds hangin' out on the wire.
8.  Get creative and make it your own.  Post to your blog, link to Unscripted Sketches and leave a comment here!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the colors and the images on your card. Wonderful way to use the sketch. And - btw, I always wanted to be a teacher, too! My siblings were not as understanding of my "gifts"... lol

Chris said...

You were also always creative... making your first "scrapbook" shoe box at the age of 4. Crayola crayons were always in your sight, now you've graduated to distress inks and copics! Great use of the sketch!

Michele Cunningham said...

Your card is Awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

Fun card! I should have guessed that those are Tim Holtz stamps. I love his creative designs. I like how you stamped the clock on two strips.

Katie said...

Too funny. I'll have to ask J about that one. I'm sure he'll remember his baby sister trying to give him pop quizes.